Instant Pot Braised Short Ribs
Change up the dinner conundrum with these tender short ribs from Bluewater Creek Farm. Even though it seems daunting, this recipe is super simple and ready in less than 2 hours. Serve these over rice, cauliflower rice, or mashed potatoes.
· 1-2 lbs of grass-fed short ribs from Bluewater Creek Farm
· ½ cup of good quality red wine (I used Cabernet Sauvignon)
· ½ cup of bone broth or stock (I used chicken but beef is fine too)
· 1 large carrot, sliced
· 2 stalks celery, sliced
· 1 medium red onion, finely diced
· 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
· 2 tbsp coconut sugar
· 1 tbsp fish sauce
· 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
· 1 tsp Italian seasoning (feel free to use fresh herbs like thyme and rosemary)
· ½ tsp dried oregano
· ½ tsp onion powder
· ½ garlic powder
· 2 tbsp of arrowroot starch (you’ll mix this with 2 tbsp of water to create a “slurry”)
1. Set Instant Pot to “sauté” mode and let it heat for a few minutes before adding oil.
2. While heating, pat dry short ribs with a paper towel and and sprinkle all sides liberally with salt and pepper.
3. Once hot, add 2 tbsp of avocado oil to the pot and sear short ribs on all sides. This will take several minutes, but getting a good crust on the meat will ensure better flavor. Be sure not to overcrowd the pot.
4. Remove short ribs from the pot and add a tbsp more of avocado oil. Add in the carrots, onion, celery, seasonings (salt and pepper to taste) and sauté until onions are translucent and golden.
5. Add in minced garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes.
6. Once the vegetables are sautéed, add in wine and let cook for 3-4 minutes until reduced.
7. After the wine reduces, add in broth, fish sauce, and coconut sugar.
8. Add short ribs back in.
9. Place lid on Instant Pot and set to “sealing."
10. Set for 45 minutes on “manual” mode.
11. When the timer goes off, allow the Instant Pot to naturally release the pressure for 15 minutes before opening lid. You’ll know the pressure has released when the “float valve” drops.
12. Once the Instant Pot naturally releases, remove the short ribs and let rest on a plate.
13. Stir in the arrowroot slurry and allow sauce to thicken.
14. Once thickened, shred short ribs and add back to sauce. Taste for salt and serve over rice, cauliflower rice, or mashed potatoes!